Saturday, December 10, 2011

Better than I ever could have imagined!


It's an incredible wild wonderland here at Londolozi! We took our first morning game drive at 5:30 am, and it was by far the most fun I've ever had in the rain. That's right, it was a pretty heavy drizzle most of the time, and the animals must have been out more than in extreme heat. A quick rundown, we started with a lone male hippo making his way to his own little pond, and then it just picked up after that. We saw three male lions sleeping off yesterday's kill, a pack of rare wild dogs on the hunt, resulting in one less impala who will grow up. Mother giraffe with a month old baby, zebras, wildabeast, two female lions with two cubs, a single female leopard, elephants and I hope I'm not forgetting something. If I am Mike's blog will fill in the blanks.
Female wildabeast struggling to give birth - we all suspected a problem and she won't make it. Maybe we will find out what happened on our evening drive.



Just got called away by Mike to look at a bird and then spent about another hour right here from our suite just amazed at all the birds coming right to us here at the river.

It will be hard to blog often I think because it reminds me of Heron Island where there is always some kind of wildlife or bird thing going on so you just can't stop watching. And when you're not up watching, you better be sleeping so you have the stamina to keep watching (unless you're Mike who can get by on much less sleep than I.)

Oh, and the accommodations are incredible too - don't know when I'll find the time or be able to make the decision between indoor or outdoor bathing and showering. It's lovely!

We did see a millipede on the roads which our guide felt compelled to get out and pick up to show the four of us - like I needed a reminder of that!

And speaking of roads, not really sure you can call them that, but this vehicle they have can go anywhere - I think we drove over trees this morning.

Time for some sunscreen and maybe a walk to see if the other "camps" have any birds we don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment