Monday, December 12, 2011

Londolozi - Some brief facts

I need to make this post so I remember some of the history which leads to why it's so great here. And as an aside, I wish I was as inquisitive as I am now when I was in grade school - there is so much out there to learn about that I just can't get enough, but being older now my mind doesn't retain it so well. From small dung beetles to giant buffalo, nature has so much to teach us!

 


The Greater Limpopo Transfrontier Park is six million acres. That park incorporates Sabi Sands Game Reserve and the well known Kruger National Park. Situated within all of that area are a few private game reserves, one being Londolozi. Our vehicles that go out from Londolozi have traversing rights over 36,000 acres and they have exclusive rights to 17,000 acres. When we're out on our game drives we see only Londolozi vehicles, and we can basically go anywhere we want instead of staying on paved roads like one would if driving through Kruger National Park. Some guests here speak of hearing other travelers to this area taking ten days to see the big five as opposed to here at Londolozi where you might see that and more in your first drive.

There is a lot more interesting history on the families that bought this land and the fences that have come down because of them which provides more freedom for the animals to roam, but I don't need to make this a complete history lesson. I just wanted to remember why it's so freaking amazing here!

We have a lot to look forward to here still, because now we have several private drives arranged where it will be just Mike and I with one driver and one tracker as opposed to six guests going out together, which is still pretty special. Our driver and tracker thus far have been awesome, but we want to try and see a few more birds if possible, and that can tend to bore other guests and slow the drives down, so we felt bad doing that.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment